Post 19 - Updates and More

 Greetings!


It's summer in Las Vegas and if you happen to be in America, you may have seen that we've been breaking records lately (yay, 120 degrees F... something that shouldn't be celebrated). It's also the slow season at work, so combine the two factors, and you're looking at me staying inside and avoiding unnecessary trips outside. This has actually been a boon for me as I redirect my energy into productivity.

    The first update that I'm excited to share is I randomly did my first paid voice acting gig a couple days ago. Creatively it wasn't as exciting as say doing voice acting for your favorite animated show or commercial... it was modeling speech recognition software with an AI. It was monotonous, it was somewhat boring, and it was excellent at showing me what the company was looking for as far voice talent was concerned. We had to retake some of my lines since it was my first time doing something like this but overall I'd say it was a great first experience and I'm hoping to find my voice over work in the furture!

    Secondly, I've been making steady progress each day on my next manuscript. I found it difficult to find the motivation to work on a new project after having recently finished a large project that I'm still in the process of pitching. I decided to use my dry erase board as a daily checklist with small milestones/goals in order to make steady progress. Read 10 pages a day; write 5 pages a day. It's a very small goal to hit, but when you're balancing work (and looking for work) with a hopeful career, I find it helpful to have everything attainable with the idea in mind that once the goal is hit, to keep working as long as the energy and motivation is there. It seems to be working for now.

    Speaking of work, I actually need to start getting ready to go to my day job. Until next time readers, stay classy out there.


-Denis Baldwin


P.S. There was a notification from Google to turn on "AdSense" on my Blogger profile. I allowed it to go through, mostly because I also have a podcast I do on the side for fun and any revenue would go into the hosting fees. I'll see how the process works for a few weeks but if I find the ads are intrusive or outright annoying I'll walk back the approval of ads.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day Two - Writing Contest

Day Six - And so it goes...

Day Eight - Delays and Excuses