Back in the Reedsy

 Howdy!


I hope this blog post finds you well (whoever you are). Most of my posts jump from topic to topic although you'll find some consistency in the creative field since I'm a writer. This week I'm typing away at a short story for a writing contest and it's shaping up to be a good one. I've mentioned the website Reedsy in the past, but if you're interested, check it out at: www.reedsy.com You'll find a wealth of writing tools on their platform on the professional side, as well as writing contests that differ from week to week.

    This week is "twists." I'm not generally great with twists, because I don't necessarily write with that intention. I've written some scenes that I felt were great and even had an unexpected payoff but that was only because I wrote myself into a corner. I try to retain a degree of believeability, even if it borders on unreal. It still has to make enough sense to work, but like I said, I write myself into a corner. There are times when I don't plot and I just GO, and it's a rollercoaster for a while until I find my way. Sometimes a character or two get killed off and it's always a surprise to me, which might sound crazy to some, but to the other writers out there, you guys get it. I've lost a few characters I really cared about and I wasn't about to go back and write it differently. That was the story.

    But this is a different story. This one needs a twist. And that's the hard part. Everyone entering this contest, and to a worse degree reading the entries, knows that a twist will be coming. I've skipped the last few contests since they didn't align with either my schedule or preference but for some reason I'm in for this one because I think it's going to be a real bitch and I like a good challange.

    See you guys out on the field. Cheers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day Two - Writing Contest

Day Six - And so it goes...

Day Eight - Delays and Excuses