Day Seven - Summer's Here

 

    Ahoy!

    Many beginning writers (or perhaps all) have primary/secondary jobs in order to pay the bills. The craft itself is often time consuming with little compensation. The reward itself is the work created, but of course we want the work out there, and that generally translates to sales since it correlates to people desiring/wanting your creation. I'm not there yet.

    I work a day job. Nothing wrong with that. I actually enjoy it even, and I'd say I'm quite good at it. It allows me an environment with access to a wide variety of people and it's my job to entertain/take care of them. Why am I being vague? Because I don't need people harassing me at work. That wouldn't be nice. I keep it professional, even if my job sometimes necessitates ribald banter. I also get bored at work, so the wordplay itself is always fun. Do I talk like this? I actually do. People have compared me to Sheldon, which is a shame because I'm not a big fan of the show. (Nothing against it, it's just not for me.)

    Where was I going with this? Oh yeah! Summer's here. It's horrible. I live in Las Vegas. I had to work outside for half the day in long sleeves and a black outside. Not my favorite. I'm used to the heat here, but I also can't stand it. It's hell here. The only refuge is air conditioning and the oasis of swimming pools we have here. (Not Lake Mead though, our lake is liquid trash.) I'm excited for what summer brings though. For me it means a lot of work at my primary job which translates to money. It's a necessary evil and I have responsibilities.  It pulls some time away from things I'd rather be doing, like writing, but it's all about time management. Tomorrow I have the next two days off and I plan on getting more writing done on my second and book and researching those agents. I'll also continue with my writing challenege and my routine. I like that this blog has made me accountable to myself at least. I don't think anyone's read these, but they can serve as a digital footprint for myself.

    Until next time.


                    -Denis Baldwin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day Eight - Delays and Excuses

Day Three - Virtuality Reality

Day Four - Mother's Day