Day Five - Artificial Intelligence

 

    Beep boop blorp.

    Artificial Intelligence has come a long way since early science fiction narratives and hollywood movies. Terminator and iRobot are a little more in your face when it comes to issues related to AI. Those stories act as if a not-too-distant problem will come about all at once in a sort of hostile takeover. It's probably not going to be so devestating (although possibly) and the issues are smaller and already happening.

    Artificial Intelligence is harming us in subtle ways. The GPS that malfunctions and causes a driver to go the wrong way, causing an accident; autopilot on an aircraft that is overriding the pilot, causing a plane crash; these two examples have happened, and are fairly obvious. But we're talking about subtle. What about ChatGPT, Artificial Intelligence that is used to write and create things? The deceptions are out there and have been covered well by others. What interests me is that in each case it was a human being that was behind each instance.

    So maybe, just maybe, that means that certain industries will self regulate when it comes to AI. I don't believe that AI will replace humans when it comes to creativity, not necessarily that they can't create. Right now it seems like there are three schools of thought regarding AI when it comes to writing: 1. Avoid at all costs. 2. It's unavoidable, might as well be replaced. 3. Co-exist.

    I'm thinking the third option is the best. Why? Well, here's where I'm coming from right now. I'm trying to publish the book I wrote (I hand wrote the rough draft). I've typed it up, taken it from a rough, to a first, to a second draft and now need to have it edited and as solid as I can to get it into the hands of an agent and sold. I could pay an editor $4500 to go over my material, and at the end of the day, they might not even be the best match for me based off conflicting view points of stylistic choices. Orrrr... I could have an AI program go through it a couple times and then I can continue to tinker. That's my preference as of now, but all the creationism has been left up to the creator (myself).

    I grew up with a typewriter, a pager, a black and white cell phone, and was born before the internet (yay dial up). I'm actually thankful for growing up in such a transitional time. I have a basis for things that evolved and iterated that are taken for granted by generations growing up in a post-internet age. I can see the pros and cons of new inventions and that the applications for such can be used in appropriate settings. The cats out of the bag. It would be easier to embrace and help shape how the medium is used rather than try and resist and think you can stem the tide.

    I choose co-exist.



                    -Denis Baldwin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day Eight - Delays and Excuses

Day Three - Virtuality Reality

Day One - Introduction